Copyright

Please be advised that all of the content of this blog is the intellectual property of by Claudia H. Schlottman!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Real Woman

It's been a while since I've ranted or raved. Too many excuses to list........BUT I felt compelled to RAVE about A Real Woman, Lisa Moore. So, here goes.


A Real Woman - 10/24/10



My good friend, Lisa Moore, is a real woman. She is suffering the effects of a protracted divorce that would have sent a lesser woman into the bottom of a dark closet, sucking her thumb.

Not Lisa. She keeps her life full and meaningful in spite of all the stress. She has two wonderful daughters, Meredith, a freshman law student at Emory University, and Marion, a sophomore at The University of Georgia. They are fine young women, giving and loving, as is their mother.

She sings in the choir at her church - like a bird, I might add. She volunteers at The Macon Volunteer Clinic, an organization that provides health care for the working poor who have no health insurance. She’s an expert bridge player who constantly works to improve her game.

Lisa works out and stays fit, and she is beautiful - inside and out. Her husband must be blind.

I recently bought a table for ten people at a fundraising gala for Hospice of Central Georgia and then proceeded to break my wrist. I couldn’t drive for two weeks, and without her willingness to take me shopping and helping me with planning and decorating the table, I would have been lost.

Almost every Monday, Lisa takes our friend, Frances, who is in her early 80s, to drinks and dinner. Sometimes I go with them. She makes us laugh, and her energy is infectious.

I know this woman sounds too good to be true. There aren’t many like her, and we could all learn a great deal about survival from her. She refuses to play the victim role, choosing instead to look forward and prepare to move into the future as a single mother.

She never fails to ask everyone about their lives, their interests and goings-on, rarely mentions her own. She has sparked in me a renewed interest in classical music, about which she is very knowledgeable, and she has encouraged me unfailingly in my journey as a widow.

Lisa does not whine, choosing instead to pick up a bottle of wine and take it to a friend. I am blessed to have her in my life, and I’m not the only one.

She is a real woman.



© cj Schlottman

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your friend. I hope you are doing OK. How is the wrist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're right. Her husband MUST be blind (to inner AND outer beauty)!

    "/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa sounds suspiciously like another positive and uplifting person I know (whose blog I am reading at this moment) What a wonderful description of an obviously lovely woman. Often you don't know what you have until it's gone...and I suspect her husband will have a rude awakening to that fact one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She sounds like a wonderful friend to have. It's good to have great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Men! Can't live with 'um, can't shoot 'um!

    You were very lucky to have a husband like Clint in your life! Many women, like your lovely, devoted, friend, go unappreciated in marriage.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. She sounds like the type of woman every other woman would want as a friend. I'm sure she will be much better off on her own and the sooner he's gone the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. some people defy convention in an impressive way.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Compliments are always wonderful, but please feel free to leave constructive criticism. How can I learn and grow without your input?